Thursday, May 19, 2016

I feel ya, Stannis Baratheon

Stannis Baratheon would understand.

I'm spending a lot of time listening to the radio as I finish retouching a huge set of images. I can tune out most of the drivel, but there is a Home Depot commercial that is driving me nuts.

Apparently, they are selling a new colored mulch. And it lasts a really long time. So long, in fact, that they proudly proclaim "that means less touch-ups."

At first I wondered if I was I hearing that correctly. Surely a huge company with a huge marketing department and huge budget would not release a spot with such a simple usage error. Would it?
It would and it did. I've heard it multiple times now.

I suppose one could argue that Home Depot got my attention, and as any marketing person knows, even bad publicity is good. The problem is that this irritates me because it is so simplistic. And it makes me wonder why someone didn't catch it. Is good and proper communication that difficult, that much of a bother, or that irrelevant now?

Sigh.

Like Stannis Baratheon,* all I can do is mutter "fewer" under my breath every time I hear it.

Fewer.

It's really not that difficult.



*Game of Thrones fans will understand the reference from Season 5, "Kill the Boy"

No comments:

Post a Comment